February 13, 2014: Webinar: Marketplaces and Ryan White for States Not Expanding Medicaid, Thursday, February 13, noon – 1:30. Register here!
This free webinar is designed for case managers, peer navigators, planning council members and anyone else working on the front lines of the HIV epidemic, working in the states where Medicaid is not expanding.
During this 90-minute webinar policy experts from the Southern HIV/AIDS Strategy Initiative and the Harvard Law School Center for Health Law and Policy Innovation will cover several topics, including:
- accessing Navigators and other supports to avoid consumer scams
- selecting the best private health insurance plan
- “vigorously pursuing” ACA insurance yet remaining on the Ryan White program if that is the best course of action for you (or your client)
- spotting and reporting problems with marketplace insurance to support ongoing advocacy and improve coverage for people living with HIV
April 28-29, 2014: AIDS Watch, Washington DC
Click here to register for AIDS Watch 2014. Registration is free and includes continental breakfast and lunch on April 28th for those who register by March 31, 2014.
Special rate available at Hotel Palomar for AIDS Watch participants who book by March 28th. Rate: $209/night + 14.5% tax. Rate is available for Sunday, April 27 and Monday, April 28, and must be booked by March 28, 2014. Reservations: (877) 866-3070.
POSTPONED DUE TO GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN (to be re-scheduled in 2014):
The White House HIV and The South Meeting. The White House Office of National AIDS Policy, working with SASI and other Southern partners, is hosting a White House meeting focusing on HIV and the South. Click here to see the meeting agenda. SASI commends the White House for focusing on the region of the country with 49% of newly reported HIV infections in 2011.
September 18, 2013: PACHA (Presidential Advisory Council on HIV/AIDS) holds meeting focused on the Ryan White Care Act. SASI director, Carolyn McAllaster, presented on Ryan White: Looking Forward.
DOWNLOAD SASI SLIDES: Ryan White: Looking Forward
September 9, 2013: SASI and NASTAD at the US Conference on AIDS, New Orleans, LA.
DOWNLOAD SASI RESEARCH SLIDES here.
|Monday, September 9th 8:30 – 11:30 am Imperial 5C Southern Discomfort: Developing and Using HIV Treatment Cascades and Research-based Advocacy Strategies to Focus Attention and Resources on the Southern HIV Epidemic.|
- September 8-11, 2013, The 2013 United States Conference on AIDS, New Orleans, LA: The United States Conference on AIDS (USCA) is the “largest AIDS-related gathering in the U.S., bringing together over thousands of workers from all fronts of the HIV/AIDS epidemic…to build national support networks, exchange the latest information and learn cutting-edge tools to address the challenges of HIV/AIDS.” This year, the USCA will focus on the HIV epidemic in the South. Learn more about the USCA here. SASI will be co-leading a seminar at the USCA on Monday, September 9 from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. Stay tuned for more details.
February 25-26, 2013, AIDS Watch, Washington, D.C.: This two-day event, hosted by AIDS United, the National Association of People with AIDS (NAPWA), and the Treatment Access Expansion Project (TAEP), includes a training to prepare attendees for visits with their Members of Congress, the Positive Leadership Award Reception, and meetings with Congressional offices. This year’s AIDS Watch priorities include:
- Increasing Congressional support for domestic HIV/AIDS appropriations.
- Educating Members of Congress on the importance of implementing and funding the Affordable Care Act; protecting Medicaid; and preserving the prevention and public health fund.
- Urging Congress to repeal criminal laws targeting PLWHA; lift the ban on federal funding for syringe exchange programs; and fully fund comprehensive, evidence-based sex education.
Learn more about SASI at AIDS Watch here.
July 22 – 27, 2012: International AIDS Conference in Washington, DC
- AIDS in America: The Invisible Epidemic, Tuesday, July 24th (participants included SASI members Kathie Hiers and Carolyn McAllaster)
June 19, 2012: SASI delegation participated in Congressional Roundtables sponsored by AIDS United and co-sponsored by Senator Kay Hagan (D-NC) and Senator Jeff Sessions (R-AL) in the Senate and Representative Hank Johnson (D-GA) and Representative Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL) in the House.
June 13, 2012: Farmer Justice presented a webinar entitled, The Southern HIV/AIDS Strategy Initiative (“SASI”): Focusing White House Attention on the HIV Epidemic in the South by SASI Director, Carolyn McAllaster. The power point slides are here: Farmerworker’s Justice Webinar Presentation and you can listen to the webinar here.
By May 18, 2012: SASI encouraged advocates and supporters to urge their Congressional leaders to Support Enhanced Responses to HIV/AIDS for Women and Southern US States.
April 24, 2012: SASI delegation meets with new ONAP Director, Dr. Grant Colfax and with Dr. Ronald Valdiserri, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Health, Infectious Diseases at HHS to discuss SASI’s Call to Action urging the creation of a State of the South Task Force.
April 23 – 24, 2012: SASI members participate in AIDS Watch in Washington, DC. More than 20 SASI supporters attended AIDS Watch and visited members of Congress from 9 Southern States to urge support for SASI’s Call to Action.
March 6-8, 2012: Raising Our Voices: An Advocacy Summit for HIV-Positive Women in Fort Walton Beach, Florida. SASI Project Director, Carolyn McAllaster, will be co-presenting the Lunch Plenary on Policy, Rights and Women-Centered Care–A Southern Perspective. See the SASI–Focusing White House Attention on the HIV Epipdemic in the South plenary power point presentation.
March 6-8, 2012: Raising Our Voices: An Advocacy Summit for HIV-Positive Women in Fort Walton Beach, Florida. SASI Project Director, Carolyn McAllaster and SASI Steering Committee member, Amy Rosenberg (along with her colleague Amy Killelea) will be conducting an advocacy workshop of SASI and Health Care Reform.
December 9, 2011: SASI delegation meets with Jeff Crowley, Director of the Office of National AIDS Policy and Greg Millett, Senior Policy Advisor with the Office of National AIDS Policy to deliver SASI’s Research Report and Petition Signatures.
December 9, 2011: SASI delegation meets with Dr. Ron Valdiserri, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Health, Infectious Diseases and Christopher Bates, Executive Director of the Presidential Advisory Council on HIV/AIDS to deliver SASI’s Research Report and Petition Signatures.
December 2, 2011: Rural Women’s Health Members in Florida sign SASI Petition
November 10-13, 2011: SASI coalition members circulated our petition at the U.S. Conference on AIDS in Chicago.
October 25, 2011: Over 100 members of SASI coalition partner, Louisiana AIDS Advocacy Network, attended the Office of National AIDS Policy community meeting in Baton Rouge to ask whether next steps in the implementation of the National HIV/AIDS Strategy will be focused on communities with needs typical of those in the Southeastern United States.
September 27, 2011: Thanks to the leadership of SASI coalition partner, AIDS Alabama, there were more people lined up to ask questions about next steps in the implementation of the National HIS/AIDS Strategy at the Office of National AIDS Policy forum than could be accommodated.