September 17-18, 2014: PWN-USA Summit 2014 in Ft. Walton Beach, FL. Join 200 women from across the country at PWN-USA’s first national gathering to build advocacy and leadership skills among women living with HIV. Register here: http://www.speakupwomenssummit.org/.
- Breakfast Planary: Southern Exposure with SASI researcher Kristen Sullivan and SASI Steering Committee member, Sharon Decuir. To include release of SASI Infrastructure Study: Baton Rouge
September 19-21: Positive Living 2014 , also in Ft. Walton Beach, FL. We are all aware of the tough struggles the HIV/AIDS community faces in today’s landscape. It is more important than ever that we all find our voice and speak up for the things we critically need to sustain a healthy lifestyle. Please commit to join the fight this weekend if you haven’t already. The more voices speaking out, the better chance of being heard. Register here: http://aidsoasis.org/events/positive-living-2014/
- SASI Workshop on Saturday, 9/20/14 at 3 p.m.: Advocacy Strategies Focused on the Ryan White Care Act, Carolyn McAllaster, Forum room in the Ramada, Ft. Walton Beach, FL.
White Meeting on HIV in the Southern United States: On June 18, 2014, the White House Office of National AIDS Policy, under the leadership of new Director, Douglas M. Brooks, MSW, held its first ever meeting focused on HIV in the Southern United States. Southerners living with HIV, their advocacy partners, and representatives from several federal agencies gathered at the White House Executive Office Building to hear about the regional challenges the South faces in its fight against HIV and to ask questions. Douglas Brooks, who is living with HIV himself and who grew up in Georgia, kicked off the meeting by letting participants know that one of his top priorities is assuring that resources follow the epidemic. Full account of meeting here and agenda below.
SASI at the White House Meeting
Esther Ross, Kathie Hiers, Robert Greenwald, Deadra Malloy, Joseph Interrante, Linda Rigsby, Robin Webb
Sergio Farfan, Valerie Mincey
April 28-29, 2014: AIDS Watch, Washington DC
SASI members from 10 deep south states attended AIDS Watch and visited their Congressional Representatives to discuss the importance of Ryan White funding, the need to modernize the Housing Opportunities for People with AIDS (HOPWA) funding formula, and the need to lift the ban on federal funding for syringe exchange programs.
Carolyn McAllaster leading SASI meeting at AIDSWatch 2014
SASI Steering Committee members at AIDSWatch 2014
Deadra Malloy Esther Ross, LaSean Hutcherson,
Valerie Mincey, Terry Munn
Kathie Hiers, Carolyn McAllaster Linda Rigsby, Soree Finley
Robin Webb, Dazon Dixon Diallo Sharon Decuir, Alice Reiner
Vignetta Charles, AIDS United; Robert Greenwald, Dazon Dixon Diallo
February 13, 2014: Webinar: Marketplaces and Ryan White for States Not Expanding Medicaid, Thursday, February 13, noon – 1:30. Register here!
This free webinar is designed for case managers, peer navigators, planning council members and anyone else working on the front lines of the HIV epidemic, working in the states where Medicaid is not expanding.
During this 90-minute webinar policy experts from the Southern HIV/AIDS Strategy Initiative and the Harvard Law School Center for Health Law and Policy Innovation will cover several topics, including:
- accessing Navigators and other supports to avoid consumer scams
- selecting the best private health insurance plan
- “vigorously pursuing” ACA insurance yet remaining on the Ryan White program if that is the best course of action for you (or your client)
- spotting and reporting problems with marketplace insurance to support ongoing advocacy and improve coverage for people living with HIV
September 18, 2013: PACHA (Presidential Advisory Council on HIV/AIDS) holds meeting focused on the Ryan White Care Act. SASI director, Carolyn McAllaster, presented on Ryan White: Looking Forward.
DOWNLOAD SASI SLIDES: Ryan White: Looking Forward
September 9, 2013: SASI and NASTAD at the US Conference on AIDS, New Orleans, LA.
DOWNLOAD SASI RESEARCH SLIDES here.
|Monday, September 9th 8:30 – 11:30 am Imperial 5C Southern Discomfort: Developing and Using HIV Treatment Cascades and Research-based Advocacy Strategies to Focus Attention and Resources on the Southern HIV Epidemic.|
- September 8-11, 2013, The 2013 United States Conference on AIDS, New Orleans, LA: The United States Conference on AIDS (USCA) is the “largest AIDS-related gathering in the U.S., bringing together over thousands of workers from all fronts of the HIV/AIDS epidemic…to build national support networks, exchange the latest information and learn cutting-edge tools to address the challenges of HIV/AIDS.” This year, the USCA will focus on the HIV epidemic in the South. Learn more about the USCA here. SASI will be co-leading a seminar at the USCA on Monday, September 9 from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. Stay tuned for more details.
February 25-26, 2013, AIDS Watch, Washington, D.C.: This two-day event, hosted by AIDS United, the National Association of People with AIDS (NAPWA), and the Treatment Access Expansion Project (TAEP), includes a training to prepare attendees for visits with their Members of Congress, the Positive Leadership Award Reception, and meetings with Congressional offices. This year’s AIDS Watch priorities include:
- Increasing Congressional support for domestic HIV/AIDS appropriations.
- Educating Members of Congress on the importance of implementing and funding the Affordable Care Act; protecting Medicaid; and preserving the prevention and public health fund.
- Urging Congress to repeal criminal laws targeting PLWHA; lift the ban on federal funding for syringe exchange programs; and fully fund comprehensive, evidence-based sex education.
Learn more about SASI at AIDS Watch here.
July 22 – 27, 2012: International AIDS Conference in Washington, DC
- AIDS in America: The Invisible Epidemic, Tuesday, July 24th (participants included SASI members Kathie Hiers and Carolyn McAllaster)
June 19, 2012: SASI delegation participated in Congressional Roundtables sponsored by AIDS United and co-sponsored by Senator Kay Hagan (D-NC) and Senator Jeff Sessions (R-AL) in the Senate and Representative Hank Johnson (D-GA) and Representative Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL) in the House.
June 13, 2012: Farmer Justice presented a webinar entitled, The Southern HIV/AIDS Strategy Initiative (“SASI”): Focusing White House Attention on the HIV Epidemic in the South by SASI Director, Carolyn McAllaster. The power point slides are here: Farmerworker’s Justice Webinar Presentation and you can listen to the webinar here.
By May 18, 2012: SASI encouraged advocates and supporters to urge their Congressional leaders to Support Enhanced Responses to HIV/AIDS for Women and Southern US States.
April 24, 2012: SASI delegation meets with new ONAP Director, Dr. Grant Colfax and with Dr. Ronald Valdiserri, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Health, Infectious Diseases at HHS to discuss SASI’s Call to Action urging the creation of a State of the South Task Force.
April 23 – 24, 2012: SASI members participate in AIDS Watch in Washington, DC. More than 20 SASI supporters attended AIDS Watch and visited members of Congress from 9 Southern States to urge support for SASI’s Call to Action.
March 6-8, 2012: Raising Our Voices: An Advocacy Summit for HIV-Positive Women in Fort Walton Beach, Florida. SASI Project Director, Carolyn McAllaster, will be co-presenting the Lunch Plenary on Policy, Rights and Women-Centered Care–A Southern Perspective. See the SASI–Focusing White House Attention on the HIV Epipdemic in the South plenary power point presentation.
March 6-8, 2012: Raising Our Voices: An Advocacy Summit for HIV-Positive Women in Fort Walton Beach, Florida. SASI Project Director, Carolyn McAllaster and SASI Steering Committee member, Amy Rosenberg (along with her colleague Amy Killelea) will be conducting an advocacy workshop of SASI and Health Care Reform.
December 9, 2011: SASI delegation meets with Jeff Crowley, Director of the Office of National AIDS Policy and Greg Millett, Senior Policy Advisor with the Office of National AIDS Policy to deliver SASI’s Research Report and Petition Signatures.
December 9, 2011: SASI delegation meets with Dr. Ron Valdiserri, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Health, Infectious Diseases and Christopher Bates, Executive Director of the Presidential Advisory Council on HIV/AIDS to deliver SASI’s Research Report and Petition Signatures.
December 2, 2011: Rural Women’s Health Members in Florida sign SASI Petition
November 10-13, 2011: SASI coalition members circulated our petition at the U.S. Conference on AIDS in Chicago.
October 25, 2011: Over 100 members of SASI coalition partner, Louisiana AIDS Advocacy Network, attended the Office of National AIDS Policy community meeting in Baton Rouge to ask whether next steps in the implementation of the National HIV/AIDS Strategy will be focused on communities with needs typical of those in the Southeastern United States.
September 27, 2011: Thanks to the leadership of SASI coalition partner, AIDS Alabama, there were more people lined up to ask questions about next steps in the implementation of the National HIS/AIDS Strategy at the Office of National AIDS Policy forum than could be accommodated.