Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS (HOPWA) is a HUD program that provides States and cities with approximately $330 million in funding for the housing needs of persons with AIDS (~$300,000,000 for entitlement grants and ~$30,000,000 for competitive grants). HUD uses a formula based on cumulative AIDS cases to distribute approximately $225 million of the $300 million entitlement grants to cities and states for short-term and long-term housing for over 61,000 households. Because over half of the individuals included in cumulative AIDS cases are deceased individuals, the distribution is not representative of the current state of the disease. If HUD used a formula based on the number of persons living with HIV/AIDS instead of a formula based on cumulative AIDS cases, the south would receive 4.1% more funding, or ~$9.23 million.
- 30 for 30 ADAP African American AIDS AIDS United AIDS Watch Black CAPUS CDC Congress deepsouth FAAP FAPP Ford Foundation Funding Health HHS HIV HOPWA housing HUD Medicaid NAPWA NBHAAD NHAS NIH ONAP PACHA Positive Leadership Award Prevention Prison Ryan White SAC SASI Sequestration South Southeast State of the South Task Force Stigma STRMU TAEP WAD White House Women
- SASI Calls On HRSA to Review Ryan White Supplemental Funding
- #RyanWhiteWorks. Ryan White. Real Lives. Meet Jean B.
- #RyanWhiteWorks. Ryan White. Real Lives: Meet Edwin Brandon from Tennessee
- #Ryan White Works. Ryan White. Real Lives. Meet Robin J. of Charlotte, NC
- RYAN WHITE. REAL LIVES. #RYANWHITEWORKS
- [The views expressed on this website do not reflect the official views of Duke University]